Counselling for Defence Families
Psychological Counselling Services For Defence Families
Ahead Psychology provides psychological counselling services to defence families in Brisbane and to ADF members through the Garrison Health Services program.
- Expert help from psychologists who understand the additional, unique strains that many defence families face.
- Highly experienced psychologists who treat a wide range of problems that cause emotional, behavioural and interpersonal difficulties.
- Convenience: We are within easy driving distance to the Gallipoli Barracks at Enoggera in Brisbane, with plenty of free on-site parking.
- We can process most National ADF Family Health Program, Medicare and Private Health Insurance claims at the time of your appointment.
The National ADF Family Health Program
Great News for Defence Families seeking psychological counselling
Defence families can access funding support for psychological counselling through the National ADF Family Health Program.
This funding is in addition to Medicare and Private Health Insurance Rebates.
Get Started Today
If you or a family member is struggling with an emotional or mental health problem, contact us now to make an appointment – and take the first step in getting the support you need.
How we can help Defence Families with Mental Health & Well being.
Defence families face the same psychological issues as the general population – anxiety, depression, stress, adjustment to major life change, trauma etc.
But we know that military life imposes unique and additional stresses on ADF members and their families:
- Postings to different bases mean that families relocate. This brings about a change of home, change of job for the partner (increasingly frequently) and a change of school for the children. Friendship networks and possibly family connections will be disturbed.
- Deployments separate members and their families. And these are becoming longer and more frequent. Some members have deployed on several occasions.
- Partners and families may be subject to the adverse psychological effects of the deployment experience.
A long established and trusted private practice we work with adults, teenagers, children and couples. Our highly experience psychologists we can help with a wide range of issues including:
National ADF Family Health Program & Psychological Services
The National ADF Family Health Program covers family members of all permanent ADF members and Reservists on Continuous Full-Time Service.
Under Family Health Program there is a family allocation of $400 per dependant per Financial Year (1 July to 30 June) for allied health, including psychological services.
The benefit is transferable between family members. This means that a family with 3 registered dependants, for example, will be allocated $1,200 per financial Year.
Benefits cannot be carried over into a new financial year.
The program can be used to help cover the cost of face-to-face counselling by a psychologist as well as:
- Psychometric testing conducted by psychologist
- Cognitive behavioural assessment by psychologist
More Information on the National ADF Family Health Program
Get More Information on the National ADF Family Health Program here including eligibility, how to register, how to claim and other frequently asked questions.
Medicare Rebates & the National ADF Family Health Program
The ADF Family Health Program Benefit can be used to pay any gap fees after a Medicare Rebate is claimed.
Medicare rebates are available for psychological treatment by registered psychologists under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative. You need to be referred by a GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician. For more information see our Medicare Rebates for Psychology Services Page
If you have an appropriate Medicare Referral you can claim the Medicare Rebate and then use your entitlement under the ADF Family Health Program to pay the gap.
Private Health Insurance Rebates & the National ADF Family Health Program
For families that have Extras Cover with their Private Health Insurance, the Allied Health benefit can provide additional coverage by allowing you to allocate the $400 benefit towards out of pocket expenses after your Private Health Insurance fund has reimbursed you.
It could also be used to pay for services if you reach your yearly limit or for allied health services that may be excluded from your private health insurance policy.
We have a HICAPS facility onsite which means, in most cases, we can process National ADF Family Health Program, Medicare and Private Health Insurance claims at the time of your appointment. Rebates Processed on the Spot.