Counselling for Road Accident Trauma

If you have been in a serious motor vehicle accident you are at increased risk for psychological problems, particularly Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

We offer expert counselling to help people who are suffering psychological trauma after being involved in a motor vehicle accident or motor cycle accident, even as a cyclist or pedestrian.

Psychological counselling for road accident trauma can help you to:

  • Overcome your fear and drive with confidence again
  • Stop panic attacks
  • Stop nightmares and flashbacks
  • Manage your stress and take back control of your life
  • Get back your self esteem and return to work

Help is available. If you are concerned about how you are coping and would like professional assistance please call us on Brisbane (07) 3352 3577 or fill out our Request a Booking form.

How counselling for road accident trauma can help.

Counselling can make a big difference if you are suffering the emotional aftermath of a road traffic accident.

A psychologist can provide:

  • a safe space to talk about the continuing feelings of panic, short-temperedness, withdrawal or whatever else is happening for you.
  • information about trauma and how it works on the brain and nervous system.
  • strategies to deal with fears, anxiety, flashbacks, stress and self esteem

5 things you should know about road accident trauma

  1. A road accident can impact your life in many ways. You may experience
    • a fear of driving or being in or around vehicles
    • panic attacks
    • nightmares and flashbacks of the accident
    • Severe stress about everyday things
    • Feelings of guilt or worry about those who were injured or died in the accident
    • low self esteem and financial hardship because you can’t work
  2. Each person’s response to a road accident will be different
  3. Problems can present themselves for months, even years, after the accident
  4. Healing the psychological trauma from a motor vehicle accident is possible
  5. You may be entitled to funding of your rehabilitation and medical treatment under the Queensland Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance Scheme (see below for more information)

When to get professional counselling for road accident trauma

You should seek professional help if you:

  • are at a loss to know how to cope
  • are anxious about driving or being in traffic
  • have panic attacks, nightmares and/or flashbacks
  • feel numb and empty
  • continue to experience strong distressing emotions
  • continue to have physical symptoms of being tense, agitated, and on edge
  • fear that talking about what has happened might make you feel weepy or angry
  • avoid the topic with friends and family because they don’t really seem to understand, and you sense their frustration and you don’t want to burden them with your emotions
  • use of alcohol or drugs to help you cope
  • wonder when your life will get back to normal and fear that it might never be the same again.

Financial Help – Counselling for road accident trauma covered by the Queensland CTP scheme

Under the Queensland Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance Scheme, you may be entitled to funding of your counselling for road accident trauma if you did not cause the motor vehicle accident and the accident occurred in Queensland.

Treatment and rehabilitation under the CTP scheme are aimed at returning you to your pre-injury function.

Services may include psychological counselling as well as medical consultations, physiotherapy, chiropractic care, medication and return to work programs.

Once an insurer admits liability, the insurer must:

  • At your request, ensure that reasonable and appropriate treatment/rehabilitation services are made available, and
  • Pay for reasonable and appropriate treatment and rehabilitation costs

You have the right to exercise choice in the selection of an appropriately qualified and experienced service provider whose treatment is reasonable and appropriate for your injury.

You should obtain approval from the insurer for payment of rehabilitation services before you attend. Do not assume the insurer will automatically pay for all of your rehabilitation expenses. You will be personally responsible for paying accounts if the services are not determined to be reasonable and appropriate.

For more information about the Queensland CTP scheme and how to make a claim, including the time frames involved, visit the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC) website or call the MAIC helpline on 1300 302 568.

Don’t suffer unnecessarily. If you need help, please call us on Brisbane (07) 3352 3577 or fill out our Request a Booking form